When your dog’s automatic temperature control method fails, heat strokes can occur. Just like with humans, heat strokes for dogs are a serious health concern and must be attended to right away. More importantly, one should take steps to prevent a heat stroke from occurring in the first place. Familiarize yourself with heat stroke in dogs and ways to prevent it.
- Consider their current health. If your dog already has a heart problem, is older, or suffers from breathing problems, it is more likely to suffer from heat stroke. Even normal activity in high temperatures can lead to heat stroke. Limit your dog’s activities outdoors during very hot days.
- Water. Your dog should have access to clean, cool water at all times, especially while being active outside.
- Keep your dog out of unnecessary heat. Your dog should never be left in a parked car in the heat, even if you will be gone only for a few minutes. Inside a parked car, even in the shade, the temperature can quickly escalate to 140 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Restrict activity on hot days. When the temperatures outside are 90 degrees Fahrenheit or more, restrict exercise and do not take your dog jogging with you. Too much exercise in the heat is just as dangerous for dogs as it is for humans.
- Keep them groomed. If your dog has an especially thick coat, consider having it groomed and trimmed short in the summer to help stay cool.
- Keep them wet. If your dog likes water, wet it down with cool water or a swim to help regulate body temperature.
- Give them a cool resting place. Move your dog to a cooler area of the house. If you have air conditioning, keep your dog indoors where it is cool. You can also put chilled icepacks under your dog’s bed to lie on so that they can cool off.
If you are gone during the day, consider doggy daycare.
Camano Island Kennels offers doggy daycare for dogs of all breeds and year-round. We keep your dog happy, social and safe while you are at work or even out of town on business. Call us at 360-387-DOGS to learn more or contact us online for a quote.