If your dog has a severe skin irritation and is constantly scratching, he or she may be suffering from canine allergies. The best thing to do as a pet owner is to determine the cause of the allergy by keeping a close eye on the symptoms. Understanding why your dog is experiencing this discomfort will help you better treat the condition and help prevent the symptoms for good.
Allergy Symptoms to Look Out For
- Acute itching and inflamed skin
- Typical affected areas include base of the tail, groin, belly and under the legs
- Your dog may gnaw at the area to relieve itching
- Hair may fall out in patches and the skin may become dry and flaky
- Prevalent during warm seasons
- Chewing at skin to reduce itching
- Usually occurs between the ages of 1 and 4
- Likely to surface in warmer seasons
- Face-rubbing on carpet or furniture
- Consistent licking of belly and paws
- Chronic ear infection
- Itching and scratching any time of year
- Face-rubbing on carpet and furniture
- Consistent paw-licking
- Small red bumps and raised patches of skin around the ears, belly, feet, and back of the legs
Be sure to speak with your veterinarian to determine a suitable treatment plan if you suspect any of the conditions noted above. Managing your dog’s allergic reaction as it occurs can help you find the root cause of the itch and learn how to reduce the chances of certain allergies developing in the future.
Camano Island Kennels offers dog grooming services for dogs of all breeds and year-round. We will determine, based on your pet’s coat and your input, what the best shampoo is for your pet’s overall health. We offer several types of all-natural shampoos that can help with allergies, including Oatmeal, Hypo-allergenic, Flea, and more. Call us at 360-387-DOGS to learn more or contact us online for a quote.